Civil Service Salary in Canada 2022/2023 – Check Details Here

Filed in Articles by on April 20, 2022 0 Comments
Civil Service Salary in Canada

How much do civil servants make in Canada? This article provides detailed and current information about the Civil Service in Canada and Salary structure.

Who is a Civil Servant?

A civil servant is someone appointed by merit to work for any level of government. Civil servants are members of the Public Service Commission (PSC) and provide government services to citizens. The head of the PSC is the clerk of the Privy Council. The PSC consists of several departments employing different types of civil servants. Over 40% of civil servants are in the Ottawa region, with the remaining 60% across approximately 1,600 locations around Canada.

The civil service involves various functions depending on the department or agency concerned. The roles of a civil servant involve collecting and processing taxes, running the prison system, law enforcement, paying pensions, and issuing driver’s licenses. Each department has different payment schedules, employment requirements, and promotion modalities.

Examples of Civil Service Jobs

The civil service comprises numerous roles and professions. Here are some jobs that you can find in the civil service:

Judge

A judge is a civil servant that has the authority to preside over court proceedings. They make decisions for legal cases and maintain order in the law court. The Governor-In-Council appoints the judges of the Supreme Court of Canada, the federal courts, appellate courts, and other superior level courts. Provincial governments appoint judges in provincial courts. To become a judge in a superior-level court, you need to be a Canadian citizen and have a minimum of 10 years of experience as a practicing lawyer. Requirements for provincial courts vary, but all provinces require some legal experience.

Teacher

Teachers who work in government-owned schools are civil servants under the public service of Canada. A teacher is responsible for teaching students in a classroom, preparing and disseminating notes, and organizing assessments. Teachers in Canada require a bachelor’s degree in education and a provincial certificate to teach.

Armed forces

The Canadian armed forces include the Royal Canadian Navy, the Royal Canadian Airforce, and the Canadian army. The armed forces are responsible for protecting the territorial integrity of the country. In addition, they’re responsible for preventing or containing any external threats to national security. In certain cases, the armed forces can collaborate with the police to maintain internal security, for instance, extreme internal unrest, domestic terrorism, or rebellions.

Beyond soldiers, the armed forces employ a wide variety of workers, including engineers, pilots, medical personnel, lawyers, and translators. To become a member of the armed forces, you need to be a Canadian citizen, be at least 18 years old, and have completed at least grade 10 or secondaire IV in Quebec.

Social worker

Social workers aim to improve society’s overall well-being by providing essential services to solve complex social issues. Social workers deal with drug addiction, juvenile delinquency, child abuse and abandonment, homelessness, and health challenges, among others. Most provinces require social workers to have a bachelor’s degree in social work from an institution with accreditation from the Canadian Association for Social Work Education (CASWE).

Police

The police are responsible for internal security and preserving law and order. They enforce federal, provincial, and municipal laws. They investigate violations of provincial laws, arrest offenders, and persecute them. The major police force in Canada is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), but provinces like Ontario and Quebec maintain their police forces. To become a police officer in Canada, you need to be a citizen, be at least 18 years old, and pass a series of tests, interviews, and background checks.

Civil Service Salary in Canada

How much does a Civil Servant make? According to the Glassdoor survey, the national average salary for a Civil Servant is $72,920 in Canada.

Enter your email address:

Source: Sabonews.org

If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it using the share buttons below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *